Teflon Coating Spray
Teflon is the brand name that was originally trademarked for polytetrafluroethylene (PTFE). PTFE was discovered, by accident, by a scientist in the 1930s. Upon the discovery of its unique properties, including its low corrosion and abrasion, high temperature resistance, water resistance, and non-stick abilities, PTFE was quickly trademarked as Teflon by DuPont. Its uses have grown exponentially over the years, and Teflon and its sister brands are now used widely in almost every industry.
Teflon coating spray is a product that sprays on, much like spray-paint, and then it’s baked until it forms a solid coat. This allows the user to put a waterproof, non-corrosive protective coating on any product they wish.
- Among consumers, a Teflon coating spray is particularly popular for its use in automobile care. Applying a Teflon coating spray to auto parts forms a seal that will prevent wear and tear, which lengthens the useful lifespan of the parts. For example, ball bearings are exposed to a lot of abrasion by the nature of their use. ATeflon coating spray, when applied to the ball bearings, will reduce the friction and abrasion endured by the ball bearings.
- In particular, a Teflon coating spray is popular for use in dirtbikes, motorcycles, and other vehicles with many exposed parts. It protects those pieces that are constantly exposed to the elements, and prevents corrosion and rust.
- A Teflon coating spray is useful in other mechanical applications, as well. Spraying it on your snowblower will protect the parts from rusting, since Teflon doesn’t absorb water. Adding Teflon coating spray to your lawnmower and edger will protect them from rust when they sit in storage over the winter.
- Another benefit to Teflon coating spray is its waterproof abilities. Some consumers spray Teflon coating spray directly onto their work boots. This makes the work boots waterproof, and will keep your feet dry for years to come.
- Teflon coating spray is great for indoor applications, as well. If your drawers are sticking, spray the runners with Teflon coating spray. This will coat the runners and keep them opening and closing smoothly.
Why Is Teflon Coating Spray So Popular?
Well, the answer lies in its strength and versatility. First of all, Teflon coating spray is nonstick. This is the feature that Teflon is most well-known for, and a big reason for its widespread use. Almost any substance will easily release from a Teflon finish. Secondly, Teflon coating has a low coefficient of friction, ranging from 0.05 to 0.20, depending on the conditions. Teflon coating is non-wetting, which makes surfaces that have been treated with Teflon easy to clean.
Heat resistance is an important feature, as well. Industrial applications of Teflon coating can withstand heat up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Thanks to Teflon’s cryogenic stability, it can also be used in extremely cold conditions (as low as -454 degrees Fahrenheit) without altering its properties.
Teflon coating spray is used in industrial applications, as well. If you are developing a product that could benefit from a coat of Teflon, contact Toefco Engineered Coating Systems. They can protect your product with an application of Teflon coating spray. It doesn’t matter whether you are testing out Teflon coating spray on one piece, or whether you need thousands of parts to be treated. Toefco will meet your needs and ensure that your product is protected.